Just As i Am...

10.05.2006

watch out broadway!


rehearsals started for Christmas Carol. we are dancing fools. i am so sore today. from WALTZING! let me just say: never underestimate dance. it's a workout and a half.

we danced for 3 hours straight Tuesday night. and Two hours last night! straight through. it doesn't end. it just keeps on going. at the end of the night, our feet hurt, we all smell, our sleeves are rolled up, makeup is non-existant, the men are sticky and sweaty, our legs are killing us. or maybe it's just me.

anyway - i absolutely love this photo. they aren't my feet. but these are my favorite character shoes of the bunch. i have the plain beige ones you see up front. last night i wore jazz shoes.
i did dance a few years ago. ballet. jazz. i did tap as a child. but nothing would ever prepare me for the grueling wear that is Waltzing and Polka. but, i'm excited. and ready. and pleased that this will inevitably help me shed a few pounds.


and this is a photoshoot from this afternoon.
beautiful baby boy.
ridiculously difficult shoot
i took about 200 photos
got about six that i like. then it was time for a bottle. there will be a round two,
babies are so difficult. especially at two months old. i got a coo here and a coo there. but still - so hard to work with. not to mention that my own little rugrat was at the shoot with me. apparently terrified of the pumpkins. trying to run out into the street. i felt i had to buy some pumpkins just as a "thanks" for allowing us to take the photos. paid $5 for four pumpkins. i can't believe it's trick o treat season.

is it too early to think of christmas?
here's the final word on my santa clause debate:

i couldn't decide if i wanted to let laken believe in Santa. i didn't as a child.
truth. i think about it too much. i'm a thinker
i'm over analytical
what if the kiddo is the same?
what if he says "why did you make me believe in something/one that isn't real"
what if he asks, "what else isn't real? is God real?"
ya yaaaaa. i know you're laughing
but seriously, i didn't believe as a child so i don't know what situation might arise
anyway - i decided on this:

Laken will be told about Santa.
will be told about a kind man that may or may not have existed.
that he brought children gifts
i'll tell him that he can believe in the goodness in people
and that we will go sit on his lap at the mall to honor the good

there.
i'm done
weird.
but done!

14 Comments:

At 2:17 AM , Blogger gloria said...

Seriously?

You didn't believe in Santa?

I am trying to remember when I stopped.

I think you have the right idea, tell him what you will-- after all, he is *your* kid to mess up!

LOL

Love ya!

 
At 7:23 AM , Blogger Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

I just noticed that you are reading a great book by Howard Gardner. I have many of his books and saw him speak a few years ago!

PS Believing in Santa was a big part of what made Christmas special to me when I was a kid, but I understand your dilema

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger Scott said...

My vote is so for Santa but hey if you want to ruin the magic of Christmas for your son well go ahead...hhahaha.. I am just giving you a hard time...

Scott

 
At 10:46 AM , Blogger sarah said...

I didn't belive in Santa either.
Long story short we had no chimney.
How could Santa get in without a chimney? So, my mom told me he had a special Santa key for the front door.
Yeah, freaked out BIG time so she had to tell me the truth.

All that dancing sounds fun...
exhausting, but fun.
:)

 
At 12:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't believe in Santa, but did however in the three wise men (Mexican tradition). I love the memories from this. And yeah, it was a shoker when I realized they weren't real, but I'm glad I did believe in that kind of magic as a kid. It gave wings to my imagination I guess. :)
I love your new banner and overall redesign of your blog. :)

 
At 1:21 PM , Blogger Kat said...

i love that picture!!! and jealous that you get to dance for excercise. i've watching "dancing with the stars" i've seen the changes.....
i think you came up with a good sollution for the santa situation

 
At 7:39 PM , Blogger justem said...

This is what my aunt told her kids...kind of that it may or may not be true...Good choice, I think.

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger Greta Adams said...

i believed in santa and remember how sad i was when i found out he wasn't real...i wish i still believed in him...i loved the believing...

i understand you thoughts but i am glad i believed in him...he still a rocking old fat bastard to me who brings me goodies...hehehehe

love ya, and will miss ya this week...catch ya when i get back beotch

 
At 10:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your photos
and the fact that you were waltzing
really
you are cool

 
At 10:46 AM , Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

wonderful baby pictures...i enjoyed reading your post

 
At 1:08 AM , Blogger caroline said...

oh man
those shoes look painful
and dance should DEFINITELY not be underestimated.
and your photos rock my world
come out to california and shoot me one day :P

 
At 6:06 AM , Blogger Jill H said...

i feel kinda bad for lying to my kiddos about Santa, i don't want them to question what else i've lied about either!!! it bugs me. but i do it, cuz it's fun & they truly believe. i think they'll understand when they're older why it's a good lie. ugh, that sounds horrible when i type it all out!!! congrats on being in the play =)

 
At 11:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was actually thinking tomorrow about going to buy some of my first christmas presents. so no. it's not to soon to start.

 
At 8:20 AM , Blogger Sonia said...

you'll have to visit my blog come December 1st, and I will post my story/theory about Santa and why I never told my children that a man who brought gifts thru the chimney exhisted. If you chose not to "do" santa, you will get hell from some people. Trust me @@.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home