Just As i Am...

6.18.2006

cause he didn't have to be...

When a single mom goes out on a date with somebody new
It always winds up feeling more like a job interview
My momma used to wonder if she'd ever meet someone
Who wouldn't find out about me and then turn around and run
I met the man I call my dad when I was five years old
He took my mom out to a movie and for once I got to go
A few months later I remember lying there in bed
I overheard him pop the question and prayed that she'd say yes And then all of a sudden
Oh, it seemed so strange to me
How we went from something's missing
To a family
Lookin' back all I can say
About all the things he did for me
Is "I hope I'm at least half the dad
That he didn't have to be"
... cause he didn't have to be
- Brad Paisley

** Perfect song for my daddy on his day! I know you'll never read this. I know you'll never understand how much you mean to me. How much this 12 year old little girl welcomed you into her life because you made my momma so happy. because you were the missing link in our family. because you never introduced me as "my step daughter" or "my wife's daughter" but as YOUR daughter. because you gave me a ring on your wedding day as well to symbolize your committment to me as a father. because you've cried with me over silly things.

also because as a single mommy, i have faith that God has great things in store for my son. Not just for me, but because i know that if there is ONE great man out there that will take in a little girl as his own, that the very same can happen for my little boy.

and when i see you playing with laken in your own little ways. i am flooded with that emotion all over again. because i know that you ARE that man in his life right now. and i thank you. on behalf of myself. and laken as well.

i hope that i can raise my son to be HALF the man that you didn't HAVE to be.

... cause you didn't have to be!

33 Comments:

At 8:16 AM , Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

Wow, such a sweet dedication, I really enjoyed this post.

 
At 8:27 AM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

i got chills, girl
what a sweet guy
and amazing expressive writing.
love you!

 
At 10:03 AM , Blogger CrunchyChick said...

I was going to tell you I got chills, and then I saw Jocelyn's comment. :)

Without any intent to copy, I got chills.

I have a Dad in my life very much like your Dad. I got so lucky, I ended up with two awesome Dad's. One my Mom met and made me with. And one she met when I was eleven or so. I wouldn't trade either of them for the world and I know how you feel.

 
At 3:21 PM , Blogger Brynne said...

Ok this post made me cry!!!
What an awesome post.

 
At 3:36 PM , Blogger elizabeth said...

wow! truly amazing and how lucky are you to have such a great guy in your life.

 
At 4:08 PM , Blogger angieoh! said...

Oh man. Here I am bawling. Beautiful post.

 
At 6:20 PM , Blogger e said...

well.
that's making me cry.
how amazing.
xe

 
At 2:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i almost cried too. too beautiful.

 
At 2:46 AM , Blogger gloria said...

amazing.

I knew there were still some good guys out there! So glad he's in yours {and laken's}!!

 
At 3:43 AM , Blogger monica said...

OMG, you're the sweetest!

What amazing words you speak of your father!!!

Now I'm crying =/

 
At 6:18 AM , Blogger Erica Hernandez said...

Wow - amazing post! I'm fortunate enough to have a stepdad that treats my mom and us wonderfully as well...doesn't get much better than having TWO dads that love you.

 
At 7:02 AM , Blogger Kirsten said...

This made me cry. You're lucky to have such a great Dad!

 
At 7:05 AM , Blogger Scott said...

That is fantastic stuff. He sounds like a great Man!

Scott

 
At 7:09 AM , Blogger kristina contes said...

Awwwww. I'm getting all teary eyed and I haven't even had my coffee yet.

And the squishy comment.....hahahahahahahahhahahahahahaa

 
At 7:12 AM , Blogger mikster said...

Nice post chriselda...and he sounds like one heckuva guy.

 
At 9:11 AM , Blogger sarah said...

okay...that made me cry.
LOVE this sweet post, C.
Love that we both have stepdad's that introduce us as DAUGHTER...
I really, really, loved this post.

 
At 11:16 AM , Blogger tg said...

So sweet -- so well said.

 
At 11:24 AM , Blogger Barb said...

Oh crap! I have a job interview in 30 minutes and I'm crying like a baby. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Really, though. Your dad sounds like a great man.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger -jason- said...

happy belated father's day to your dad!

 
At 1:33 PM , Blogger sarah said...

Amazing Post! I'm all teary eyed! Love it!

 
At 3:01 PM , Blogger Greta Adams said...

WOW girl i am so glad for you and your momma...you will find that true love one day

 
At 7:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is SO SWEET!!! even if he does not read this online you better print it out for him!

 
At 7:12 PM , Blogger Jill H said...

awwwww, what an incredibly sweet post, and he sounds like an awesome dad.

 
At 7:22 PM , Blogger Christielli said...

Awesome post!! Your dad rocks!

 
At 8:19 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Oh my god.
That is so sweet.
GOOSEBUMPS friend.

 
At 9:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

your dad is a handsome man! :)

 
At 11:08 AM , Blogger Jamie said...

Girl I'm not going to lie, that gave me the lump. You are SO sweet. :)

 
At 5:38 PM , Blogger Kat said...

sooo sweet. seriously almost made me cry. wowza, i'm emotional.....

 
At 12:27 AM , Blogger Monica said...

wow. girl made me cry.

 
At 11:29 AM , Blogger Sonia said...

:::::TEARS::::::: My dad is like your dad. He didn't have to be. But i'm so glad he did.

 
At 9:21 AM , Blogger Leesa said...

What a beautiful post!

 
At 5:15 PM , Blogger Michelle W. said...

awwww... you made me cry.

 
At 7:25 PM , Blogger Michelle McGee said...

I am more than impressed with your words... beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home