Just As i Am...

3.16.2006

it's my party and i'll throw cake on the floor if i want to!

so.... laken's party was rough. i'm not maternal. don't get me wrong - i love my son more than anything in this world... but ask me to host screaming kids and i'll be lost. So, it was a small event. just a few people. i picked up these awesome finger foods and then his cake from Miss Piggy's. It is an awesome flippin' bakery and i LOVED what they did with this cake!!! This is the turtle from Baby Einstein and laken will light up any time he sees him on the television screen.

Anyway, i decorated my mom's house and then everyone started coming over. We got it all started with the gifts. Laken wasn't interested. He just looked at me. So... it was like it was my birthday... (only there were gifts!!!) So, after digging through bags of clothes, books, and toys, we put him in his high chair for the big finale!!!

A little background. My son will not put things in his mouth. No toys. No pennies. No plastic. He doesn't do the whole pacifier thing. He won't eat food from his hands... it has to be on a fork or spoon. and i'm beginning to think he doesn't like to be dirty either. To add to all of that... my son doesn't like sweets. No cookies. No cupcakes. No candies. Coke. Nothing!!! Sooooo. I had my premonitions that the cake thing wouldn't be a success. After lighting the candle and singing... he just stared at it. He touched it and i guess liked the texture so he dug into it. Which was cute. (but not cute... all at the same time) But he wouldn't eat it. So. I grabbed a fork and put some in his mouth.

Yeah, that went really well! After this, i wiped cake off his hands, licked it off my fingers and his two grandmothers (my mom and my aunt, haha) took him to the other room for a nap. Kids! So i was stuck hosting the party. Why didn't anyone tell me that was hard stuff?! I was like, "oh, i guess i'll cut the other cake?" And i served it up. I'm not a good ... whatever you want to call this. It was rough. Motherhood is tough when it comes to parties. So, now we're back at home. Safe and sound... Laken's actual birthday isn't until the 29th. We'll have something small and quiet here at my house for that. not sure if i'll attempt the cake again though...

20 Comments:

At 11:18 AM , Blogger Valerie said...

No worries..he's still little..and the whole sweets thing, my mom told me that I didn't like sweets until later, would not touch it, now can't get enough of them!! It'll be an awesome story to tell him when he's older!! Your the best mama, he's ever going to have!! Be proud, little ones are hard!!

 
At 11:45 AM , Blogger Amber said...

the weeman hated his cake too. no worries. you are a wonderful mother. :o) Happy bday to the cutest Lake-Man ever. miss you. xo

 
At 11:58 AM , Blogger angieoh! said...

Sounds like you did a great job! Don't be so hard on yourself!!! How is the play coming?

 
At 12:55 PM , Blogger Greta Adams said...

How freaking cute was that cake...
Girl he is the cutest baby...Glad you had a great time...and you are to hard on yourself...your the best mama and he's damn lucky to have you...

KISSES and miss you

 
At 1:35 PM , Blogger X said...

Looks like you did well! ANd he's so cute with his cake. And things may change....apparently I used to like Lima beans when I was a kid.....can't stand them now! I had to be forced to mess up my bday cake on my first bday...I started to cry when I got dirty :)

 
At 1:54 PM , Blogger sarah said...

that is the cutest cake i've ever seen!
don't be so hard on yourself...I think 1st bdays can be like that - depends on the kid, ya know? :)
Laken is so adorable...
and you are a fantastic momma!

 
At 3:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww poor little guy! He's so cute tho and that cake was adorable!! Better luck next year! :)

 
At 4:25 PM , Blogger Raina* said...

OMG that cake is soo cute, I'd trade it for the grown up ones I get now.

Aww little Laken, napping at his own party. I guess he was a little young to appreciate all the trouble. Perhaps a second birthtday will be easier

 
At 7:30 AM , Blogger Kirsten said...

Even crying he's an adorable birthday boy!

 
At 8:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

those pics are funny, poor baby! hehehe...very cute cake though!

 
At 8:56 AM , Blogger mikster said...

Cute cake...and wait until next year...he'll probably love it.

 
At 9:43 AM , Blogger BRANDY said...

Happy birthday Laken. Chriselda, don't worry I am baby illiterate. I think you did awesome.

 
At 10:11 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Laken is such a cute baby. You did a good job with the party!

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Scott

 
At 1:56 PM , Blogger island jen said...

awwww....poor thing!! man, draven dug into that cake like it was his last meal...lol!!

 
At 3:07 PM , Blogger Kat said...

too funny about the cake! those pics are great : )

 
At 4:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a cute cake! Sorry you didn't have too much fun

 
At 7:55 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Awwww, I'm so sad that I missed it! I told you that Miss Piggy's is awesome!

Is Scott going to wear his kilt today?? Just checking.

 
At 9:47 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

chriselda!!! I LOVE you and MISS you.

 
At 1:07 PM , Blogger Just Me said...

oh...i'm so out of it...you're back!! yeah!!!

 
At 7:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Pyramisa resort 4 eygpt State farm insurance frederick md Domaine charles audoin Zocor and grapefruit Weight loss support

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home