Just As i Am...

2.05.2006

Guest Blogger - Scott

Okay, so I have been invited to guest blog on my friend Chriselda's blog. This is my first time doing this so here is what I came up with. Sorry in advance to Chriselda's regular readers for this unexpected change of pace. I hope that you enjoy.

What I have decided to blog about is the misconceptions that Americans have about Canadians. This is a fun topic that we discuss here in Canada. True story, I once went to football camp at the Univesity of Michigan ( a good 40 miles from the Canadian border ) and I was talking to a few guys who came down from Nebraska. They really thought that Canadian was the land of the Eskimo (in Canada they are called Inuits) and that we had snow all year etc.... sad sad stuff. You will have to forgive the Canadian inferiority complex, but hey, we only have 30 million people in a country that is larger than the US, so it is kind of like being a flea next to an elephant. Anyway, so I came up with some stuff to educate and entertain.

The first thing here is from a popular beer commercial about five years or so ago. Sidenote to this, at the time that the ad came out I won a competition in the city of Windsor, ON and did a similar speech thus making me Mr. Windsor....haha. Here you go.....

Hey.
I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader , and I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dog sled, and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice.
I have a Prime Minister, not a President. I speak English and French, not American, and I pronounce it " about", not "aboot".
I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack. I believe in peacekeeping, not policing; diversity, not assimilation; and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A tuque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch, and it is pronounced "zed"; not "zee" – "zed"!
Canada is the second largest land mass! The first nation of hockey! And the best part of North America! My name is Joe! And I am Canadian!
Kind of a fun little ad... next is some common misconceptions about Canada, and the truth.....


Canada does not have winter for 11 months out of the year. Yes it is true that the weather in Canada is cold - sometimes REALLY COLD! (Coldest Temperature ever recorded in Canada was in the Yukon at -63 degrees C) However in many/most places Canadians enjoys 4 seasons and hot summers. In Southern Ontario the temperature in July often goes above 30 degrees C so that is around 90 in American. The North where it is really cold is very sparsely populated.


Canadians enjoy modern technology in their lives. We have TV's, radios, refrigerators, computers etc. (You would be surprised to find out how many people who didn't know we had those things.) We don't live in igloos (Snow houses) and the VAST MAJORITY of us do not use dog sleds - in fact most Canadians have not used a dog sled. I did once though and it rocked.


Canadians do not speak "Canadian". The two official languages are English and French. Many Canadians can speak both and other languages. However aside from a few pronunciations and the odd spelling issue (we spell "Color" "Colour)


Canadians say "eh" a lot. Yes that is a given. Sometimes I say it myself. However I don't see what the big deal here is. I know a lot of Americans that say "y'all" with everything. Not every Canadian says "eh" either , although I think that we did..


We are not a nation of "draft dodgers". Canada was one of the first countries to declare war in WWI, WWII etc. We even fought in the Gulf War along side many other countries. We are renowned the world for our peace-keeping forces. It just happens that we have a small army. Yes there were many people who came to Canada during Vietnam to avoid the draft but that was their personal choice - not ours. I am not going to lie, our military is not exactly a world force, but hey, what do we need that for anyway?


Most Canadian Citizens are not Mounties. Yes we have the RCMP - but our police officers do not ride around like a pack of Dudley-Do-Rights in Red coats with ponies. This is just like the same way that American Sheriffs do not ride around like cowboys on horses , or do they???. RCMP officers are hard working individuals who in some places are the police force. The only time that they perform the Musical Ride is for special occasions. (You can see them on Parliament Hill on Canada Day.)


Canada is not a state or a part of the United States.Many people in Europe or elsewhere think that we are Americans. I can see why many people would think that we are Americans as from afar we are similar. However, while Canada does have many ties to the United States, we are a separate country.


Canadians are not subjects. While Canada does acknowledge the Queen, (represented by the Governor General) and under law we need "royal assent' for our bills to become law - Canada is it's own country. We are a "Constitutional Monarchy" - that is we have our own constitution and we acknowledge the Queen as a figurehead - but that's where it ends. Canada makes it's own laws and it is in no way dependant on Britain for laws or governing the country.

Toronto is not the capital of Canada. Ottawa is the Capital. Toronto is however Canada's largest city and the Capital of the Province of Ontario.

Not all Canadians talk slow.I have no idea how this one started. People tell me that I speak to quickly. Go figure.

Not all Canadians are on a bus going to the US to see a doctor.Have you seen the ads from http://www.busfromcanada.org/ ? Talk about manipulation of the media! The reality is that most of us are, at the very least, within an hour of a good medical care center. Sure - everything isn't perfect with health care not even close actually - but at least I know that I can have a heart attack in Canada without needing a second mortgage! So in honour of Super Bowl sunday I will be eating chicken wings and nachos covered with cheese !!

So that is about it... I hope that you have enjoyed my post about things Canadian. One more thing though, there is a definite misconception out there that Canadians do not like Americans. In my experience that is not even close. Most of the Americans that I have met over the years have been great people that have been a pleasure to know... now your President on the other hand, well that is a whole other post.

K, thanks Chriselda for letting me blog on your blog. It has been a pleasure.

Scott

*** ... no! Thank you, "ScAtt!" ***

16 Comments:

At 11:17 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Wow that is a great post... good stuff...hahaha.


Scott

 
At 11:23 AM , Blogger Just this Girl said...

hahaa! conceited much?

 
At 11:33 AM , Blogger angieoh! said...

Funny. As a northerner (I am from northern Wisconsin) I have always had a soft spot for those from Canada. Geography misconceptions are hilarious ... I don't live on a farm and milk cows... Nice guest blogger Chriselda! eh?

 
At 12:08 PM , Blogger Christielli said...

You forgot to mention despite some of our truly embarassing musicians (see Celine Dion) we have many many many kickass bands! ;)

Fun guest blog!

 
At 12:56 PM , Blogger Greta Adams said...

that was funny but also very informative...you get an A+..hehehe

 
At 1:50 PM , Blogger The Grunt said...

But Scott, what about the free beer schemes, and flying dogs, and hockey zombies? It was all in this documentary that I saw once, called "Strange Brew".

After seeing Waterton Park and getting to know a few Canadians througout the years, I've come to the conclusion that you guys are a'ight. Just don't call a ski cap a "tuke" around me, arrgh!

 
At 2:28 PM , Blogger Raina* said...

Man Canadians are cool, smart and good looking Canadians.

Waddaya think eh?

 
At 5:18 PM , Blogger X said...

I AM CANADIAN!!! Dude, I looooved that commercial and probably still have the sound clip from it on my old computer.

I don't find Europeans think Canadians are Americans at all. I've been to Europe a few times, twice since the whole war on terror and freedom fries stuff, and most are glad (maybe even a little relieved) to find out travellers are Canadians. That's why so many of us wear our flag somewhere on our bags, for that distinction.

And I also have nothing against Americans, in fact I have a few good US friends.

Either way - YAY CANADA! We rock! :)

 
At 6:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott! Great post. I also find it amazing how ignorant many Americans are about Canada. Thanks for maybe clueing in a few people who may have been reading this post!

 
At 8:08 PM , Blogger Grace said...

Go Canada!
I love Canada so much, I would never dream of leaving it to live anywhere else.
Great guest post!

 
At 10:22 PM , Blogger m@ said...

Excellent guest post Scott! I loved all the spoofs various shows like 22 Minutes, and Air Farce did of it.

 
At 8:46 AM , Blogger Jamie said...

OMG, that was funny Scott! Thanks for letting him guest blog C! :)

 
At 9:34 AM , Blogger sarah said...

oh my...that was freakin' hysterical!
loved that post!

igloos...
dog sleds...
Dudley-Do-Rights in Red coats with ponies...

cracking up!
:)

 
At 10:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

well said scott, well said. i thoroughly enjoy when fellow canadians mock americans stereotypes of us.

 
At 6:30 PM , Blogger Jocelyn said...

scott leave it to you to turn even chriselda's blog into a place of higher education. man... ;)

 
At 4:11 AM , Blogger J and D said...

So Scott...what you're saying is, you don't know Sarah from Canada???

Excuse me...I've got to go warm up my dog sled team!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home